Are you ready to go back to the routine you had before the COVID-19 lock-down?
For some there’s no straightforward answer, life is complicated.
I’ve asked myself this question and I am very clear what my answer is. I know for some people there isn’t a straightforward answer, life is complicated.
A phone conversation
This week I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with a friend of mine in her mid-eighties. It was such a delight.
One of the things she told me was,
“Shaunelle, hymns are so comforting to me at a time like this, because they are familiar”. I love hymns.
So for my friend and others who could do with some good ole hymns, I hope you enjoy the playlist I’m sharing today.
For some, hymns will be comforting, for others boring 🙂 and still others this type of music is new.
If you have a favorite hymn, let me know why in the comments below. Over the month of June as countries and borders are opening up and ‘life is unlocking’, I hope to add a few of your favorites!
In any case, I trust you can have some quiet moments with these hymns.
Are you ready for “un-lockdown” though?
I have different friends and colleagues who have gone through various changes. In this COVID crisis, I know people:
- Who had a job, and now no longer has a job after COVID
- Who were loners and didn’t feel like connecting with many people; connecting has a new meaning now
- Whose commute time was hectic and now their employer is more open to a flexible arrangement, opening up new opportunities for new routines
- Whose boundaries and space have meshed in with their children’s space
And some have made changes in food budget and vacation plans, some found new hobbies and skills. Some are meditating and praying more…
Are you one of those?
Or what about any of these:
- You had an okay-ish marriage, you no longer have an okay-ish marriage
- You had a high screen-time, it’s even higher now
- You enjoyed being alone, you enjoy it even more 🙂
- You disliked being alone, you dislike it even more
- You didn’t watch the news much, you’re now aware of what’s happening in different countries, different social, racial and religious groups
- You used to go about as you liked, you’re in the at risk group and now have to depend on others
- You used to hang out with close friends who now have strong social distancing views – it will change how you will relate
- The elderly people in your life have needs that impact you differently
- You worked full time and got paid, you now work overtime and get less pay
- You had clear vacation plans, you’re not sure what vacation time will look like anymore
- Your exercise routine has changed, for better or for worse
So, back to that question. I’m not asking if you’re ready for the lockdown to end.
Are you ready to go back to your pre-COVID routine?
I am not ready, certainly not to the routine I had before. There are some benefits from the 10 weeks of lock-down that I am desperately trying to carry forward or build into my routine more deliberately.
- Moving towards being paperless at home
- Building on the quality time I’ve had with my hubby, giving full attention when he shares with me. In fact I saw sides to him I didn’t fully appreciate before… and I love him even more now!
- and some other personal things
I want my new normal to include exercise, staying in touch with family and friends, doing something about injustice to ‘the weak’, more times of prayer and so much more…
To be really honest, I don’t want to go back to my pre-COVID routine. I want to go forward.
(Last updated June 20, 2020)
What are you moving towards in your new routine, post COVID-19?
And don’t forget to tell me about your favorite hymn. It might just make it to the list 🙂